Nick is currently working at Pattern Architects, and is Studio Tutor to the Abstract Machines MArch Unit, Leeds. His research explores computational fabrication and digital craft.
All work found here is Original
Marching Cube Studies
Implementing mesh creation algorithms in grasshopper. By manipulating the values of the point field i was able to make the mesh massing more organic, almost viscous, gathering at the nodal points and thinning across the spans.
Video of this little guy walking in previous post.
Mini Strandbeest Model
Built this interesting little guy last night. The movement is hypnotising. When i get some free time, i would like to create my own. I have never attempted to design or 3d print joints before.
I decided to revisit an old project based on origami to learn some new skills. The hexagonal origami animation is simulated using the Kangaroo physics pluggin for grasshopper.
The main forces acting upon it are ‘hinge’ rotational forces to create Mountain and Valley folds. The ‘Planarize’ force to each hexagon ( as each hexagon is actually 6 triangles that need to be constrained to a plane). I added ‘sphere collide’ calculations to each vertices, just to stop any overlapping. Finally some rigid springs for each face edge, to mimic real world paper properties.
Unfortunately the animation/.gif won’t load properly. But you can see the simulation in action here: http://goo.gl/ZiC9Dn
This is the actual Hexagonal Origami piece i folded for the project. (It took about 8 hours).
There and back again
For me this exercise was very rewarding, it felt like i was coming full circle on my time as a parametric designer. It was the original origami project that set me on the path of parametrics. Desperately searching for a way to model its expansion. The only modelling tool i knew at the time was sketchup. The discovery of grasshopper really was a light bulb moment. And while i was very proud of that first definition (below), it was a very top-down system, that was built on purely geometrical transformations.
I have been very busy with work, and recently teaching. But i plan on being a lot more productive with my time this year, or at least document my research more. I have a slight back log of items i will upload soon.
Selected by D2W for the London Design Festival. Small ornamental piece continuing my previous research on Erwin Hauer. The basket is made up of two independent but interlocking surfaces.
The two surfaces are hard to distinguish in the photos, while I appreciate the effect of the two surfaces blending, I think printing each in independent colours/shade would improve viewers understanding.
Experimenting with transitions of solid to void.
I was procrastinating, decided to make weirdest object i could. I feel my weirdness concept was achieved.
Kind of looks like a plant out of Avatar… Or some kind of acid trip!
The 3d printer in the office hadn’t been getting a lot of action recently. Used the occasion to set myself a speed challenge. This mobius based form took 3 minutes in grasshopper.
TYRERTECTURE in the UAE
Apologies for lack of posts recently, I will be resuming personal projects late January. I am currently spending my Christmas on site in the Emirates. Due to a confidentiality agreement, I cant publish any images of the project. So here is Gabe and I on a serious site inspection.
edit: Please ignore any reflection in my sunglasses.